Manufactured from 1957-1961, 4,445 fixed head coupés were produced, 2,672 drophead coupés and 2,265 roadsters.
The Jaguar XK150 Coupé had a one-piece windscreen replacing the split-screen used by its XK120 and XK140 predecessors and which was set 4 inches further forward. The 3.8 litre engine arrived in 1960. The E-Type Jaguar succeeded the XK150.
The XJ Coupé was launched at the London Motor Show in 1973, but rumoured teething problems prevented it from emerging for another two years. All versions came with the vinyl roof as standard. It used the XK6 inline 6-cylinder dual overhead camshaft (DOHC) engine designed by William Heynes Jaguar's chief engineer and produced by Jaguar Cars between 1949 and 1992.
The Series 1 3.8 litre Jaguar E-TYPE produced at the Browns Lane factory in Coventry and debuted at the 1961 Geneva Motor Show was described by Enzo Ferrari as the most beautiful car ever made. It combined beauty with performance with a claimed top speed of 150mph and 0-60mph in under 7 seconds.
The Jaguar S Type available in 3.4 and 3.8 litre had the much-acclaimed independent rear suspension used in the Mark X (renamed in "420G" in 1966). Competing with the more expensive Mark X and it's predecessor, the Jaguar MK2 it overtook the MK2 annual sales in 1965 and 1966 and then fell below the MK2 in 1967 and 68, it's last year of production. It was succeeded by the Jaguar XJ6
The luxurious Jaguar Mk9 (IX) automatic was tested at 114.4 mph with the acceleration of 0-60 mph in 10.1 seconds and 0-100mph in 28.8 seconds. Available in a range of single and duo-tone paint schemes, and with either a manual gearbox with overdrive or automatic transmission, the car was popular as a state car both in the UK and abroad.
The six-cylinder engine Mark 2 Jaguar had a wider front windscreen then the MK1 and a new instrument layout that would be standard for all Jaguars until 1973. With a new radiator grille and larger side, tail and fog lamps, it had a new heating system with ducting servicing the rear seats. The Jaguar MK2 was re-badged from 1967 to the end of production in April 1969 to the 240.
The Jaguar Mark 2 was available with all three versions of the advanced Jaguar XK6 I6 engine, the 2.4 (used by John Thaw in Inspector Morse) 3.4, and 3.8 litre, the latter having a top speed of 125mph and liked by law enforcement and criminals alike. The 3.8 (3781 cc) is similar to the unit used in the 3.8 E-Type, having the same block, crank, connecting rods and pistons. The 3.8 was discontinued in 1967 with 30,141 cars produced.
The Iconic E-Type capable of 150mph was based on Jaguar's D-Type which had one the 24 Hours of Le Mans race 3 years running from 1955. Series 1 was produced from 1961–68, the initial engine was the 3.8 litre followed by the 4.2 litre from 1965. In 2004, The Sports Car International magazine put E-Type at number one on their list of Top Sports Cars of the 1960s.
The Series 2 E-Type Jaguar differed from the series 1 with the removal of the glass headlight covers, larger front indicators and tail lights repositioned beneath a wrap-around rear bumper. The grille was larger with twin electric fans to aid cooling.
Many of these and other changes were driven by compliance with regulations introduced by the U.S. National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration.
D-Types won Le Mans in 1955, 1956 and 1957. Fuel was carried in the tail and contained within "a deformable Marston Aviation Division bag" in line with aviation practice.
The 3.4-litre engine won at Le Mans in 1955 and 1956 and with the 3.8 litre in 1957. The 3.0-litre engine size was introduced in 1958 after Le Mans restricted the engine racing size to that maximum.
The Jaguar 420 and 420G were and are luxury cars.
The G in the Jaguar 420G stands for "Grand"
The differences of the 420G over the Jaguar 420 launched at the same time are the addition of a central bar to the front grille and a chrome side strip and side repeater indicator with some with interior changes.
The Jaguar 420 and the Daimler Sovereign equivalent were released in August 1966, but production of the former ceased in 1968 after only 10,326. The car had very positive reviews but the 420 and other Jaguar MK2's still in production were totally eclipsed by the arrival of the new Jaguar XJ6 in 1968.
Rebadged as a 340 in 1967 and previously known since 1959 as the Jaguar MK2 the 3.4litre ( 3,442 cc) cars were fitted with twin SU HD6 carburettors and the 2.4 Litre with twin Solex carburettor with Four-wheel disc brakes as standard with optional power steering, overdrive or automatic transmissions.
In 1957 The XK150 said goodbye to the split windscreen of it's forebears and became available in a range of 13 colours. Available as a fixed head and a drophead coupe initially, the roadster XK150 OTS (open two seater) arriving in 1958 . The dashboard had a leather trim with walnut as an available option. The 3.4 litre engine had a new "B" type cylinder head increasing the power to 180 SAE BHP at 5750 rpm. The successor to the Jaguar XK150 was the E - Type.
In 1955 the 190bhp XK140 was launched with better brakes than the XK120, larger torsion bars, and rack and pinion steering. The changes in the appearance were subtle with bumpers extended to full width, flashing turn signals located in the wings, and fewer, more widely spaced bars in the grille. The XK140 SE increased the BHP to 210 and the XK140 M featured a dual exhaust, wire wheels, twin fog lamps, and windshield washers, and a crankshaft dampener.
At it's launch the Jaguar XK120 was the fastest production car in the world with its 3,442 cc, dual overhead - cam six that had evolved from a two-litre, four cylinder design. The straight six engine produced a top speed of 130 mph when driven by factory test driver Ron Sutton on a Belgian road. The beauty of the first production model bought by Clark Gable in 1949 was matched by its exceptional engineering reflected in the handling and suspension.
Beginning in 1948 until 1951 the Jaguar XK120 was available as a roadster, an open two seater. The first 242 of these cars consisted of an wood-framed (Ash) open 2-seater bodies with aluminium panels. The 120 stood for the top speed of 120 mph, however, this speed was exceeded in testing and catalogued with speeds 132.6 mph with the windscreen replaced by just one small aero screen and 135 mph with a passenger-side tonneau cover in place. 1950 saw pressed steel bodies adopted.
The Jaguar XJS is a luxury grand tourer manufactured by British car manufacturer Jaguar Cars from 1975 to 1996 with a 5.3 litre engine capable of accelerating 0-60 in 7.6 seconds with a top speed of 143 mph. Three body styles were manufactured,the coupé, fixed-profile and full convertible. Over the years there were three distinct iterations. The Jaguar XJS was superceded by the Jaguar XK8, but production ran for over two decades until 1996 with a final production total of 115,413 units
The number of XJS conversions to a 200mph manual 5 speed 7.0 litre Lister-Jaguar XJS high performance car was 90. With 0 - 60 in 4.5 seconds, the conversion (standard) included Cosworth manufactured larger engine valves along with connecting rods, then there were new cylinder heads, a modified fuel injection system with four additional injectors and throttle bodies, a new crankshaft, new inlet and exhaust valves, ventilated brake discs and more.
The XJS was one of the most popular Jaguars ever made. The original 1975 5.3-liter V12 engine was prized for its high mileage and low maintenance, being launched in the wake of a fuel crisis sales were a challenge. From July 1981, the XJ-S was renamed the XJ-S HE (High-Efficiency V12 engine). The Targa convertible (1983–88, V12 from 1985) did not have the appeal of the 1988 full convertible which had runaway sales.
The 4.2 (4,235 cc) straight-six cylinder Jaguar's XK engine came with power steering, leather upholstery, and twin fuel tanks. In 1970 a Borg-Warner Model 12 unit was introduced giving three different forward positions accessed via the selector lever which achieved better acceleration. In 1972 the long-wheelbase was introduced giving an extra 4" of rear-seat legroom.
The Jaguar E-Type, know in the USA as the Jaguar XK-E is the iconic British sports car manufactured between 1961 and 1975 with a claimed 150 mph top speed, under 7 second 0 to 60 mph acceleration, unitary construction, disc brakes, rack-and-pinion steering, and independent front and rear suspension.