Introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1983, the BMW M635CSi is the first of the BMW M6 model line and is the third distinctly "BMW M-badged" car. Powered by a 210 kW (282 hp) version of the BMW M88/3 litre straight-six engine, 4,088 M635CSi/M6 cars were built, 1,767 of which were for the US. (introduced in the USA as the M6 in 1987 with engine variations)
The Austin-Healey 100-6 is a two-seater roadster 2639 cc 6 cylinder engine that replaced the Austin Healey 100 which was a 4 cylinder - 2660 cc. The 100-6 had 2 additional seats, twin S.U.carburetters, and broke international and American records when tested on the Utah Salt Lake. It was jointly produced between the Austin division of the British Motor Corporation (BMC) and the Donald Healey Motor Company. 14,436 were made.
The Citroen 2CV is an air-cooled front-engine, front-wheel-drive economy car delivered in 1949 with a 375 cc engine for model years 1948–1990 with over 8 million variants made. The speedometer was not illuminated for night driving until 1954 and no heating or ventilation until 1957. Conceived in the 1930s, when rural France was heavily dependent on horse and cart, it was devised a cheap to run and maintain vehicle with a full-width roll back sunroof for oversize loads.
The Fiat 500, "The Cinquecento" (replacing the Topolino) produced from 1957 had suicide doors until 1965. The original 9ft long, rear-engined, rear-wheel drive,4-speed car had a 479cc two-cylinder engine with a canvas roof. The Fiat 500 Sport arrived in 1958 with a 499cc engine, a full metal roof, and a top speed of 65mph with a short open roof in 1959. In 1968 THE 500 L or Lusso arrived with reclining seats and carpeting and in 1972 the 594cc Rinnovata with a synchromesh gearbox.
The six-cylinder Fiat 114 Berlina 2300 Executive saloon was a larger version of the Fiat 2100 Berlina (1959 - 168). The 2300 saloon became the first ever Fiat to feature automatic transmission in 1966. Fiat also manufactured a 5 door estate and a 2 door Coupé of which there was a more powerful Ghia version, the 2300S fitted with double twin-choke carburettors.
The 1962 AC Cobra 260 has with a front located Ford V8 engine delivering its power to the rear wheels, with a 4.3 litre (4265 cc) naturally aspirated 8 cylinder motor, with a 4 speed manual transmission. The 260 accelerates 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds and a claimed top speed of 145 mph.
The 1963 AC Cobra 289 has a 4.7 litre (4727 cc) engine
The 1966 AC Cobra 427 has a 7.0 litre (6997 cc)engine
The Daimler 2.5 V8 four-door saloon launched in 1962 and was the first Jaguar designed car wearing the Daimler badge, but fitted Daimler's 2.5-litre V8 engine and drive-train. It could at first site be confused with or mistaken for the Jaguar 2.4
The P6 series was a 4 door salon produced between 1963 and 1977 with 322,302 produced. In 1964 the Rover 2000, won first place ahead of the Mercedes 600 and the rear-engined Hillman Imp as European Car of the Year (ECOTY) and industry awards for safety. The series includes the 200, 2200 and 3500 (ref: engine displacement)
The Rover 3500s was a four speed manual version in 1971, the "S" standing for Synchromesh as opposed to "Sport" to complement the 3500 automatic launched in 1968. The manual 3500s (3528 cc) claimed fuel efficiency of 2 mpg over the automatic and shaved 1.1 seconds off the 0-60 mph with a time of 9 seconds. A 3500s was the last model of the Rover P6 to be built in 1977.
The Renault Caravelle is a rear-engine, rear-drive open two/four-seater designed by Pietro Frua of Carrozzeria Ghia, using the floorpan and engine of the Renault Dauphine. Known outside of the USA and the UK as the Renault Floride, It was introduced to challenge the Volkswagen Beetle specifically in the North American market and hoped to emulate sales of the Dauphine which exceeded 2 million over a 10 year period. The Caravelle actually produced 117,000 in its 10-year output.
The Reliant Scimitar SE6 and SE6A were two-door sports estates fitted with the Ford Essex V6 3.0 litre engine. They had extra legroom over the SE5 series were longer and wider and were more of a luxury car. The chrome bumpers of the SE5 range were replaced with rubber ones. A Laycock Overdrive on third and fourth gear was optional to reduce RPM and fuel consumption at sustained speeds. 3877 SE6As were made, making it the most popular of all the SE6 shapes.
The Opel Manta B and Opel Ascona B were introduced in the Summer of 1975. The new chassis was 40% stiffer than that of the original Manta and a few centimetres longer, there was an integral roll bar introduced into the B pillars. The 1.6 and 1.9 CiH engines were used from its predecessor. Production of the Manta ceased in 1988 with the last vehicle, a white GSi, being rolled off the production line destined for the Opel works museum. After 13 years the Manta B was Opel's longest running production car with over 550,000 cars produced.
Available as a 3-door coupé or 3-door 2+2 coupé the 2.6Litre Nissan 260Z had a top speed of 127 mph, accelerated 0 to 60 mph in 8.0 sec with 24 - 34 mpg. As a successor to the 240Z (2.4 litre) there was a choice of 4 or 5-speed manual or 3-speed automatic. The 2.6 Litre Nissan 260Z also known as the Nissan Fairlady Z had a redesigned dashboard and console, new seat trim, and interior door panels. Models exported to America varied to comply with US 1973 legislation.
The Morris Marina manufactured by Austin-Morris (British Leyland) from 1971 until 1980 was a very popular car in Britain, and among the country's best sellers throughout its life, peaking at second place in 1973 — only surpassed by the Ford Cortina. The door handles from the Marina were utilized in the Austin Allegro, Range Rover, Triumph TR7, and the Land Rover Discovery series 1 until 1998 and in some models of the Reliant Scimitar, various Lotus cars, including the Esprit.
Production of the Mercedes Benz 220 SEb 2 door fixed-head coupé with 4/5 seats began in late 1960, making its debut at the 75th anniversary of the opening of Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart in February of 1961. The 220SE designation was used for both the coupe and convertible and both received the same version of the 2195 cc M127 engine which was available as a manual and automatic.
Available in SWB and LWB the Land Rover Series 2 (1958-1961) initially used the 2.0-litre (Series 1) petrol engine and then adopted the 2.25-litre petrol, though it also introduced the 2.0-litre diesel engine still in use today. The Land Rover Series 2A (1961-1971) added a 2.25 diesel engine to the range and in 1969 moved the headlamps into the wings for the home market. Sales of over 60,000 Land Rovers were recorded in the year 1969–70 with a well-established export market.
The Fulvia Coupé was introduced in 1965 following on from the four-door Berlina sedan in 1963.
The Fulivia line replaced the aging rear-wheel-drive Lancia Appia. The compact two-door, three-box Coupé immediately dominated in the Italian Rally Championship and claimed all but one overall title between 1966 and 1973. Initially manufactured as a 1216 cc engine it was enlarged to 1231 in 1967.
Powering 135mph top speed of the MK1 Jensen Interceptor was the 6.3-liter Chrysler V8 which produced around 325 horsepower. Although a manual transmission was offered, most Interceptors were sold with a Torqueflite automatic transmission. Only 22 cars with manual transmission were made of the 6.276L MK1 Jensen Interceptor. The Jensen Interceptor MK2 arrived in 1969 with two versions of a more powerful 7.2-litre engine producing 305 and 330 horsepower.
Designed by Sir Alec Issigonis (Morris Minor, Morris Mini Minor, Austin Maxi, BMC ADO17) the original Wolseley 1300 was launched in 1967 at the same time as the slightly revamped Wolseley 1100 MK2 (1965-1968). The 1100 was phased out in March 1968 and the 1300 was rebadged as MK2 with a performance increase in the Autumn 1968 from dual carburettors and all-synchromesh gearbox. The Wolseley 1300 then went on with a production run of 24,470 until 1973.
The Wolseley Four- Forty Four was a four-cylinder 1250cc engine delivering a top speed of approximately 70mph designed by Gerald Palmer of Wolseley, that had come under the auspices of BMC by the time production started. The 4/44 design was shared with the MG Magnette ZA also released in 1953 but with a 1489 cc engine. Cosmetic modifications were made to both models to provide contrast with the Wolseley the more opulent of the two.
The Wolseley 6/110 with its luxuriously comfortable interior was manufactured by BMC in 1961 the successor to the 6/99 (both used as police cars) which had been road tested at 97.6 mph with overdrive in 1959 and was identical in appearance. It used the same 3 speed, manual transmission 2.9 Litre straight six engine (2912cc) which was tuned up improving on the formers 102 bhp (76 kW) to give 120 bhp (89 kW) with modifications made to the valve timing and distributor.
Produced from 1947 in Wolfsburg, Germany the "Lovebug" retained it's iconic design until 1998. Sales of Herbie hit the 1 million mark in 1955 and 15 million in 1972. Initially with 1131 cc it increased in 1954 to 1192 cc and again in 1966, to 1285 cc (1300). In 1967 alongside 12-volt electronics, dual-circuit brakes, and two-speed windshield wipers the engine increased to 1493 cc and finally in 1970, rising to 1585 cc and bringing horsepower to 57. Herbie was a successful rally car.
The Volvo 144 conceived in 1966 was available in 4-speed manual, 4-speed manual with electrical overdrive or 3-speed automatic with hydraulic, disc brakes on all four wheels.The 144 model evolved, but stayed faithful to the design and was still being sold successfully in the early 1990s.Fitted with seatbelts for the front seats only, it was a spacious car with a large boot and high visibility with large areas of glass and three side windows.